Goldings Web Photo Gallery
By Frank Cooke ©
photos from Barnardo's archive 26/04/2002
Luscombe Castle was opened as an evacuation centre for girls aged four to 15 years in 1938. Then In 1947 Luscombe Castle provided accommodation for girls. The home was returned to its former owner with records recording the home closing in July 1948.
Luscombe Castle was built
in 1800 for Charles Hoare, a prominent banker from the near by resort town
of Dawlish. The house was designed by John Nash (1752-1835) and was a
trendsetter for the Gothic Revival with its castellated tower and walls.
The inside is simple Neo Classicism, but with Gothic windows. The rooms
are arranged around a central lobby beneath the tower.
NO BANNER at the top? Click here to go to our home page