A unique record of life in
|1873 to 1929||1930 to 1949||1950 to 1969||1970 to 1989||1990 to 2000||Today|
How the Village developed over the years
Below are the recorded dates the cottages and buildings were completed. If you have any photos of the cottages or other buildings please send them in so they can build a full picture of our old home at Barkingside.
Thomas Barnardo is presented with Mossford Lodge in Barkingside as a
wedding present from John Sands. The property comes with a 15 year lease.
Thomas has a dream that the Girls' Village Homes is created on the land next to Mossford Lodge. His plan is to enable girls to be brought up in homes in clean, country air and avoid the large institutional workhouses, He wants to attempt to substitute the natural Condition of a cottage home'.
|1874||Oct Mossford Lodge is officially opened, it has places for six girls. It quickly grows to sixty and becomes a problem for Thomas Barnardo. Mossford closes.|
9th June Foundation stone laid for Myrtle cottage by the Rt Hon Earl of Aberdeen the cottage named in memory of Mr. and Mrs Zaneous Dawson's daughter re trip to Oxford. Also stone's laid for 13 cottages and they start to build after this date.
Myrtle - Woodbine - Clapham - Honeysuckle - Jessamine -
Cambridge - Lily -
Hawthorn (later renamed Honeythorne) - Daisy
Billiter - Rose - Bluebell - Primrose and Forget-me-not are officially opened by
Lord Cairns who arrived in the nick of time to officially open
The Girls Village Home at 3:30pm. Each cottage cost in the region
of £500 to build and will house 12 to 20 girls.
19th July Governor's House - Laundry completed and opened.
Craven - Salem - Trefoil - Heartsease - Wild Thyme are officially
opened by Her Grace Sydney, Dowager. Duchess of Manchester.
Violet (later renamed Wild Violet) - Bath - Halifax - Armitie
Babies - Hahnemann - cottages officially opened by The Countess Cairns
Hyacinth - Eton - Beehive are officially opened by HRH. Princess Mary
Adelaide, Duchess of Teck.
Epidemic of Scarlet fever, no death are recorded
|May - Clarellan - Heather cottages completed.|
Burwell Park -
Curling - Mickleham - Sweetbriar - Pink Clover - Ivy -
St. Helena - Syndal - Pussy - Joicey - Clement - Mayflower -
Sir James Tyler - Ilex - Hope - Peace cottages completed and opened.
Cairns House built in memory of Dr. Barnardo's first President Earl of Cairns.
|1894||April Dedication service held in the Multi - denominational Children's Church|
|1896||September Mossford Junior and infants Schools opens its doors.|
|1897||7th July Mossford Junior and infants Schools officially opened on Founders day|
|1901||Embroidery School for girls with physical and learning difficulties completed.|
Dr. Truell cottage was opened by the Duchess of Somerset
Faith Cottage was opened by Georgiana, Countess of Seafield.
Ethel Bolton Cottage was opened by Lady Hope.
Jessamine and Mignonette Cottage opened by Mrs Ingleby.
John Sands opened by Sir Robert Anderson.
Queen Victoria House a Quarantine house for girls and young children (Archibald Morton Wing, Wilson Wing, Babie's Wing
|1904||16th July Edmond Hanny, Watts Sanatorium, Francis Reckitt - Sir George Williams - Crosswell - John Howard Anagas - Marian - Henry Mountain 1903 - Gustasp and Cannizaro Cottages opened by HRH Princess Henry of Battenberg.|
15th July Joy - In
Memoriam Benjamin Hood - Larchfield M'Culloch cottages opened. along with
Dr. Thomas Barnardo laid the foundation stone for The Young Helpers League.
Dressmaking School - Cookery School opened.
The Village now covers 60 acres with 64 cottages. 1,300 girls live there aged from two to 1 6 years.
|1906||30th June Young Helpers' League and James Holmes Lucking cottage were officially opened by Lady Brasscy.|
|1908||George Brampton RA sculptor (who created the Peter Pan statue in Kensington gardens) unveils his 20 - foot memorial to Thomas Barnardo.|
|1911||6th March Australasian Hospital opened The Hospital had been paid for by donation of the people of Australia. A Barnardo old boy The Hon John Page helps the fund start. click here to read|
|1928||Queen Victoria Home, The Village, Barkingside. changed its function and became a training home for overseas, for girls going to Australia and Canada.|
H.R.H The Duchess of Gloucester visited The Village on Founders Day.
9th August The afternoon service from the Children's Church The Girls Village Home was broadcast.
|1938||28thSeptember 1,500 girls and some boys evacuated from The Village Home during the Second World War, within three week they are all back.|
|1939||1st September 1,500 girls and some boys evacuated from The Village Home during the Second World War. The girls home would never be the same.|
|1945||The Girls Village Home re-opens as the The Village Home Barkingside.|
|1960||Plans are agreed to reduce the numbers of children living at The Village from 600 to 100 within five years.|
Southwood House, a forward thinking new project is opened. Its aim is to
give new, unmarried mothers time to consider their options after the birth
of their baby and decide whether or not they wanted to give their child up
Mossford Lodge is vacated.
|1967||The Village orchard is cleared and new headquarters are built there after 99 years at Stepney. New building officially opens in March 1969.|
|1969||Barnardo's sells 30 acres to Redbridge Borough Council. The local authority has plans to develop a civic centre on the site and demolishes one cottage. The remaining three cottages: Gustasp, Henry Mountain and Marian become local authority children's homes. The land is later sold again for a new supermarket. Tesco's stands on the site of the library and Henry Mountain Cottage.|
|1973||The new Scotch House opened|
|1975||New Mossford, a residential school for young people with disabilities is opened on a she near Mossford Lodge. It includes a medical centre swimming pool.|
|1979||Long term residential care at The Village ceases. From now onward children stay at The Village while prepared for long term fostering and adoption.|
|1982||The country's first residential pre fostering project opened in Cambridge cottage, helping children develop a life story'. Cottages around the green are now a conservation area.|
|1986||Barkingside closes as a home for children, but the work goes on.|
|1990||Scotch House a residential/retirement home for Old Boys and Girls and staff is closed. It was built on the site of the governor's home.|
The Village is officially closed after an internal Barnardo's report
describes The Village as 'too isolated from the community and 'outdated'
for the needs of modern child care.
All children moved to fostering, adoption or short term residential settings.
|1995||The clock tower, Cairn House, a listed building, is restored by Derek Wills plus helpers and reopened by the Mayor of Redbridge and the then Barnardo's Chief Executive Roger Singleton.|
|1997||After Care department moves into new offices in Ivy and Oxford cottages overlooking the Village green.|
|2000||11 cottages sold on a long lease to Anchor Housing Association.|
|2007||1st April After Care and Family Connections merge into one single service, to be based in Barnardo’s After Care dept. The new service will continue the work of After Care and Family Connections, but now under one roof, working with people who either spent time in Barnardo’s Care as children (post care adults) or who were placed in adoptive homes through Barnardo’s (adopted adults). The new service is to be called Making Connections Records, Counselling and Support Service.|
All information and photographs held within this web site are © copyright and should not be copied or shared without express permission.
Please note this web site does not in any way speak for Barnardo's. Its purpose is purely for research and historical interest.
|1873 to 1929||1930 to 1949||1950 to 1969||1970 to 1989||1990 to 2000||Today|